Dr. Kommagani’s group is primarily focused on understanding the cellular, biochemical, and molecular mechanisms that underlie reproductive tract function and its pathology.
Specifically, we aim to address important questions concerning nuclear receptor (NR) and coregulator functions in normal physiological processes and disease states, such as endometriosis and, endocrine-related cancers. Generally, we utilize mouse models, tumor cell lines, and primary human cells isolated from human tissues in conjunction with functional genomics, and epigenomics to address aforementioned aims.
Our ongoing and future studies will aim to provide not only a broader conceptual framework for understanding the coregulator principles that underlie NR’s role in reproductive tract function and dysfunction but promise to significantly expand the scope of clinical management of reproductive tract pathologies in general.
- Kommagani R, Szwarc MM, Kovanci E, Gibbons WE, Putluri N, Suman M, Creighton C, Sreekumar A, DeMayo FJ, Lydon JP, O’Malley BW. Acceleration of the Glycolytic Flux by Steroid Receptor Coactivator-2 is Essential for Endometrial Stromal Cell Proliferation. PLoS Genet. 2013 Oct;9(10):e1003900. PMC3812085. *highlighted in NICHD research highlights section
- Kommagani R, Szwarc MM, Vasquez YM, Peavey MC, Mazur EC, Gibbons WE, et al. (2016) The Promyelocytic Leukemia Zinc Finger Transcription Factor Is Critical for Human Endometrial Stromal Cell Decidualization. PLoS Genet 12(4): e1005937. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1005937
- Kommagani R, Szwarc MM, Kovanci E, Creighton C, DeMayo FJ, O’Malley BW, Lydon JP. Murine Uterine Transcriptome, Responsive to Steroid Receptor Coactivator-2, Reveals Transcription Factor 23 as Essential for Decidualization of Human Endometrial Stromal Cells. Biol Reprod April 2014 90 (4) 75, 1-11.
- Mazur EC, Vasquez YM, Li X, Kommagani R, Jiang L, Chen R, Lanz RB, Kovanci E, Gibbons WE, DeMayo FJ. Progesterone receptor transcriptome and cistrome in decidualized human endometrial stromal cells. Endocrinology 2015 Mar 17:en20141566.
- Chopra AR, Kommagani R, Saha P, Louet JF, Salazar C, Song J, Jeong J, Finegold M, Viollet B, DeMayo F, Chan, L, Moore DD, and O’Malley BW. Cellular energy depletion resets whole-body energy by promoting coactivator-mediated dietary fuel absorption. Cell Metabolism. 2011 Jan 5;13(1):35-43. PMC3072049.
* Commentary: Pascal Ferré, Fabienne Foufelle. A New Role for a Metabolic Star: AMP-Activated Protein Kinase Stimulates Fat Absorption, Cell Metabolism, Volume 13, Issue 1, 5 January 2011, Pages 1-2, ISSN 1550-4131.
* Recommended by Faculty of 1000 into F1000 Prime library